22 July, 2015

B-day Pie


Hi!

It was my mums birthday a little while ago so I made her a hazelnut meringue pie with mocha cream. I found the recipe a while ago in a book by Cees Holtkamp, named 'de Banketbakker'. Cees Holtkamp is a Dutch baker of pies, bread, croquets and many other things. His bakings are also to be found at the Dutch Royal Family, they say, haha. When I found the recipe 2-3 years ago I promised my mum to make it for her birthday, but it never happened. Then last year I received a book (as a gift), made/written by Gaitri Pagrach-Chandra, a woman from Guyana, South America, who married a Dutch guy and started looking for Dutch traditional recipes/the Dutch cuisine. People kept telling her that Holland doesn't have it's own cuisine, there weren't traditional recipes and stuff, but they were wrong. She started looking for the recipe's, made them and published them in a book called 'Het Nederlandse Bakboek' (the Dutch Baking Book).

And guess where I found my promised pie? Exactly, at Pagrach-Chandra's book, Het Nederlandse Bakboek. It was simplified, easier for me to make, but still a good challenge for someone who has never made a meringue or some buttercream... I showed my mum, she agreed, I showed my sister who was a bit sceptic, but still she wished me luck (in a good way) and so on it went. I got my ingredients and the next morning I started backing.


In the end it wasn't that difficult. I've mixed powdered sugar, a pinch of salt and caster sugar together, I've mixed roasted hazelnuts and cornstarch/cornflour, and at last I've mixed the egg white's to a foamy substance (keep in mind that there were three different bowls and the last one was brand clean,  a bit of fat and it wouldn't have worked). I baked it for 90 minutes in a preheated oven on 130 degrees Celsius.

While it was baking I made the buttercream. It's the easiest decoration you can think of. In this case the base is 300 gr. of butter and 350 gr. of powdered sugar. I've added some instant coffee that was resolved in some hot water and that was added to the butter and the sugar. The difference was immediately visible.

Me, with a finished pie.
When the pie was ready I got it out of the oven, let it cool on a grate and added the buttercream. According to the recipe you had to slice the meringue in three pieces, add the butter cream to each layer and pile them, finishing it with some roasted hazelnuts. Now, my plate was breaking while I was getting the meringue out of the plate, so my sister and I decided that it was easier and better to slice the plate in 15 pieces after I added the butter cream and the hazelnuts.

It was a bit of work, but it was worth it. Everybody loved the pie, even I did, while I usually don't like that kind of things, haha.

Do you like meringue's?

Love, Yvonne













No comments:

Post a Comment